Option 1: Propose and implement a project that uses an artistic medium to either address a healthcare need or enhance our knowledge base in healthcare or medical education.
Option 2: Create a portfolio of an appropriate number of literary or artistic works pertaining to medicine to submit to a peer-reviewed medical humanities publication.
- The student should have some background in creating the work being undertaken. A student without any painting experience should not try to create a portfolio of medical paintings.
- All final works should be submitted to one or more nationally recognized, medically relevant arts or literary journals.
- Literature review (from medical literature) should be conducted.
- Student must submit at least three pieces (written or visual) to Connective Tissue Visual Arts & Literature Journal. Pieces may be submitted for separate submission cycles or in a single cycle.
- Student should volunteer or serve on a committee for at least one arts & humanities campus group or event (e.g. Night of the Arts, Music/Art & Medicine, Music for Healing, Connective Tissue, etc).
Option 1: will include data and analysis of the impact in healthcare or medical education
Option 2: will include a description of the process taken for the creation of the portfolio (methods)
The final draft will be evaluated by a panel that will judge it on the following criteria:
- depth of thought
- aesthetic quality of creative work
- fitness of medium to ideas, and demonstration of fluency in the medium of choice
- tangibility of a distinct voice/perspective
- development of serious ideas in medicine or medical education through artistic medium